Here are some ideas for service projects that student clubs and community volunteers alike can do.
If you are not familiar with sewing, these are some great simple projects to ask a more experienced sewer to run a small workshop with your club or a group of friends.
All service projects can either be delivered to our office in Abu Dhabi or sent by mail to P.O.Box 113554, Abu Dhabi, UAE
NO-NO ARM BANDS
Volunteers can help create comfortable splints to prevent children from bending their arms and touching their face. These simple arm bands help keep the surgical incision clean and promote healing of a child’s new smile.
Each child needs 2 armbands while at the hospital, we then send them home with a clean set to ensure the child does not disturb the surgical site until it has fully healed.
No-No Arm Bands use tongue depressors to create the splint. Donations of boxes of tongue depressors are also needed and can be donated via our Amazon Wishlist
- ½ yard of light weight fabric
- 66″ of hem tape or grosgrain ribbon
- Shears or scissors
- Sewing machine
- Sewing pins
- Tongue depressors (to insert as splint)
- Please use cotton, cotton/blend materials in fun bright colors and prints. Do not use religious, war or gun themed prints.
- If you are a more skilled sewer you can try adding a layer of toweling or padding to increase comfort
- Cut a 10″ x 15″ fabric rectangle according to the pattern.
- Hem or serge to create a ½” finished edge on all sides of the arm band.
- Fold up 5″ and pin in place.
- Across the fold, mark 9, 1″ deep pockets to hold tongue depressors.
- Stitch the length of each pocket.
- Cut 3, 22″ lengths of ribbon or hemming tape.
- Fold tie in half, and pin to one side of the arm band, equal distance apart.
- At the center point where pinned to the arm band, stitch ribbon in place.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the No-No arm band print out pattern
Volunteers can help create Hospital Gowns for our patients to wear during their stay at the hospital. These gowns make it very easy for our Medical volunteers and parents to change the child’s clothes when needed without risk of irritating the surgical site or interfering with IV’s.
- Fabric Quantity: 1 yard solid/general print, 1 1/3 yard directional print
- Fabric Type: 100% cotton, at least 42 inches wide. Please use cotton, cotton/blend materials in fun bright colors and prints. Do not use religious, war or gun themed prints
- Tie Material Quantity: 1 yard
- Tie Materials: ribbon or twill tape, cut into four 9” pieces
Email email@example.com for the Hospital Gown print out pattern